--

History & Heritage

Holy Trinity (Barn) Church

Holy Trinity (Barn) Church

This church stands about 2km from Bawnboy. It is a rare example of a barn church. The long narrow plan is most unusual with the Altar on the rear wall and the congregation – men on one side (south) and women the other (north), facing each other. The austerity of...

read more
Fenagh Abbey

Fenagh Abbey

Fenagh Abbey is one of the oldest monastic sites in Ireland, believed to date back to the earliest period of Celtic monasticism. The founder was St. Caillin, thought to have arrived in Fenagh from Dunmore in Country Galway in the 5th century (according to the Book of...

read more
Drumlane Abby

Drumlane Abby

Drumlane monastic site is 10 km from Bawnboy. Located just outside the village of Milltown, County Cavan on a beautiful site overlooking Garfinny Lough, the intriguing monastic site of Drumlane includes an abbey, a monastery and a remarkably intact round tower...

read more
St Peter’s Church

St Peter’s Church

A fifteen century Vatican document records the presence of a Church on this site. The building as ceded to the established (Anglican) Church in 1594. The fine neo-gothic Church that stands there now was rebuilt in 1815. St Mogue is credited in his time with building...

read more
Bawnboy Workhouse

Bawnboy Workhouse

A fine cut stone group of buildings erected in 1852. It served the poor of the parishes of Templeport, Corlough, Kildallan, Drumreilly, Newtowngore, Ballinamore, Swanlinbar and part of Glanglevlin. A board of guardians governed, some were nominated by the Grand Jury...

read more
Kilnavart Church

Kilnavart Church

After the overthrow of Crom Cruaich, St Patrick established the Church at Kilnavart. The 1609 Baronial map shows a church in the same grounds. At some stage in the 18th century it was reported that at Kilnavart are the remains of an ancient monastery with an extensive...

read more
Bawnboy Road & Templeport Railway Station

Bawnboy Road & Templeport Railway Station

This station was built in 187 on the Cavan and Leitrim narrow gauge Railway line which connected the Great Northern Railway Line at Beltrubet with the Dublin Sligo line in Dromod. The line closed in 1959 and the station was rebuilt as a community centre in 2000. A...

read more