Holy Trinity (Barn) Church

Education & Events, History0 comments

This church stands about 2km from Bawnboy. It is a rare example of a barn church.

The long narrow plan is most unusual with the Altar on the rear wall and the congregation – men on one side (south) and women the other (north), facing each other.

The austerity of Kildoagh, combined with its date, 1776 and the fact that almost nothing had been altered since it was built makes it of great importance. There are two pointed door cases and four pointed windows on the front and four pointed windows on the rear wall.

The walls are built of rubble stone and rendered with lime plaster. The pointed windows with much of their original glass have good timber tracery and chamfered dressings of finely cut limestone. The door cases also have chamfered limestone dressings. Over the altar is a wooden crucifix, which is quiet rare and could well date from the early 19th century. A great rarity, certainly one of the finest barn churches surviving in Ireland and as such is of international importance.