--

Bawnboy, Ballyconnell, Co Cavan

The Bawn Located just outside Bawnboy village.

This was an Ulster Plantation Fort, possibly built on the site of an old Magauran stronghold probably around 1610/15.

The place name Bawnboy derives from the Irish, An Bábhún Buí

– The Yellow Bawn Buí (boy) meaning yellow, received its name from the colour of the sand used in the building of the Bawn.